Georgia On My Mind

I've been taking a watercolor class because I wanted to play a bit, and I haven't had a painting class in quite a while.  There is no preliminary work; we are drawing with the brush, which means there is no sketching or grids to lay out a plan in advance.  I realized that this is a challenge for me - I am a planner!  And as a photographer I am accustomed to seeing the world through a frame, too.  Our subject for the day were pots of tulips.  I thought of one of my favorite painters, Georgia O'Keefe, and how she would approach these blooms.  At the end of class, as everyone was packing up, I decided to look closer with the viewfinder in my camera.  The painted floor became my canvas backdrop and I was loving what I saw through the lens.  My painting wasn't nearly as much fun as the photographs that ensued!  I think I need to play more with this....
  

Comments